Tuesday, March 17, 2015

St. Patrick's Day Food and Drinks (and More Drinks)

My family is "Irish."  The quotation marks are important.  I think we actually have some sort of Irish heritage, but I've never visited the country, I definitely don't have a cool accent and I have no knowledge of any relatives that are actually from Ireland.

Still, my last name is Flinn and for that reason, I like to eat my corned beef and cabbage on New Year's Day and St. Patrick's Day.  I also like green things and soda bread.

In the hopes that we share the same interest in Irish foods and green things, I've compiled this list of green drinks and of course threw in some corned beef and Irish soda bread for good measure.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Sweetened Mint Lime Rickey - Ok, this one isn't really green, but it's got mint and it's light and refreshing and pretty perfect for a springy, March day.
I like green drinks, but I don't like a bunch of food coloring.  This Kiwi Grapefruit Cooler is showing only it's natural colors.
Going Green Smoothie - there's nothing that will make you feel quite so healthy in the morning as a bright green smoothie.  (Pairs especially well with a yoga mat ;) )
In my opinion, Rosemary Gin & Tonic's are good anytime - you don't need a holiday for an excuse.
Kale Apple Smoothie.  Remember what I said about green smoothies and yoga mats.  Yep.  That again.
If you like spicy drinks, this Jalapeño Lime Spritzer is the one for you.
Ok, Honey Beer Bread is not really Irish (well, maybe it is - I don't know), but I couldn't have a whole post about St. Patrick's Day and not include beer.  Throw a Guinness in this super easy bread recipe for a festive side or snack.
And, if you've got a little more time and you do want something traditional, Irish Soda Bread is the baked good to go with.
Crockpot Corned Beef & Cabbage.  'Nuff said.

1 comment:

  1. I remember how bad I used to feel before adding Green supplements in my diet. I had undeniably let my health slip and my daily carbs definitely got the best of me.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips