Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Ginger Carrot Soup

I really hate getting sick.  I know, so does everyone else, right?  (To be honest, I'm not totally convinced of this.  I actually think some people like the attention that comes from being sick, but maybe I'm just jaded and callous.)

I hate the physical symptoms obviously, but even more so, I hate that I can't go out and play.  When I got the flu earlier this month, it was hard to get up the energy to go to the gym or even just walk Dingo around the block.  And it was not a welcome change when I found myself getting winded walking upstairs.
Sure, it can be kind of nice to be forced to sit down, watch some tv, drink tea and slurp down some soup, but I can only take bedrest for so long.

For me, the time goes quicker when the soup is good.

Ginger and fresh vegetables are supposed to be good for your immune system - I don't really know if that's true or if it's just the placebo effect, but either way I'll take it.  This soup made me feel better!

GINGER CARROT SOUP
12 carrots
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 red bell peppers, diced
salt & pepper
32 oz. chicken broth
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 inch ginger root, grated
1-2 Tbsp. hot sauce
sour cream, optional

1.  Peel and chop your carrots into 1" chunks.  Set aside.

2.  In a large stockpot, heat olive oil and sauté onions and peppers with salt and pepper until the onions are translucent.

3.  Add in carrots and chicken broth.  Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat until the carrots are soft.

4.  Using an immersion blender (or transferring to a stand blender), blend until smooth.

5.  Stir in lemon juice, ginger root and hot sauce.  Return soup to a simmer.

6.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream if you'd like a creamier soup, or serve as is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips