Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Salted Caramel

When I think about summer, the usual suspects come to mind.  Campfires, swimming, barbecues, long days, riding bikes and ice cream.

The last one is important.
Actually, I eat ice cream all year and I love it whether it's 100˚ outside or if it's 30˚.  Even though I'm not very discriminate when it comes to my ice cream consumption, I would say that I up my intake pretty significantly once the temps reach about 70˚.

Well, here in Utah, where we apparently don't have winter anymore, it's been 70˚ for over a month already.  Time to make a permanent spot for my ice cream maker in the freezer and start whipping up another batch of this salted caramel for safe keeping.
SALTED CARAMEL
1 c. sugar
4 Tbsp. water
2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1/2 c. whipping cream
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt

1.  In a large saucepan, mix together sugar, water and corn syrup over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.

2.  Cover the saucepan and let the caramel cook for 3 minutes (do not touch or stir).

3.  Remove the lid and turn the heat on medium-high.  Bring to a boil.  Rather than stirring, swirl the caramel around the pan until it turns an even amber color.  Remove from heat and let sit for 30 seconds.

4.  Stir in the cream (be careful! The caramel can bubble up a lot here.)  Stir the butter, lemon juice and salt into the caramel then let sit until it has cooled significantly (the caramel will be warm to the touch).

Serve as a dip for apples or pour the warm caramel over ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips