Thursday, June 21, 2012

Polenta Crusted Quiche

We made it to Boulder!  Our stuff is unpacked and finally today our internet was turned on!  So far Boulder has been great.  We've been biking everywhere, eating granola and generally morphing into the hippies we'd love to become :)

When I started my yoga teacher training, my sister, Darcie, told me, "I don't care how much of a free spirit you become, just promise me you'll always shave your legs."  Ok Darcie...we won't ever let it get too hippie!
This meal is pretty hippie without going too far.  It's vegetarian but definitely not vegan.  And I would never judge if you threw some bacon in, but it's hearty enough without any meat.
POLENTA CRUSTED QUICHE
1 tube of polenta
2 c. cheddar cheese
1/2 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 squash, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 large tomato, thickly sliced
juice of 1 lemon
handful fresh parsley (~1/4 c.), coarsely chopped
3 eggs
1 c. milk
salt & pepper

1.  Cut tube of polenta into slices (about 1/4" thick) and place into bottom of pie plate and up the sides.  Bake for 15 minutes at 375˚.

2.  As soon as you take the crust out of the oven, pour the cheese into the bottom so it melts.  The cheese will seal any holes in the crust.
3.  Place a large skillet with 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.  Sauté onions and garlic.  About halfway through cooking, add zucchini and squash and finish cooking.
4.  Add parsley, lemon juice, and salt & pepper, then pour all veggies into the pie crust.  Top with slices of tomato.

5.  Beat together eggs and milk and pour on top of veggies.

6.  Bake for 50 minutes at 375˚ (cover edges of crust if they start to get too brown).

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If you come here and visit, I'll make you some!

      Delete
  2. This is just what I was looking for to make with polenta, it looks great. Question though, do you think I could do this with homemade polenta and just pre-bake it as you did with the store bought tube?
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will be 800 times better with homemade polenta - I just got lazy! Let me know how it turns out :)

      Delete

Blogging tips