Monday, October 17, 2011

Pie Crust

It finally feels like fall here!  Actually, the past few days have felt a little more like winter, but I'll take it either way.  I am 100% ready to walk outside and not have my hair stick to my sweaty face.  I love fall.  Fall means sweet potatoes and pecan pie.  Fall also means the holidays are on their way, and you know what that means?  I get to go home!
Speaking of pie...I've never made it that much.  Maybe it's because up until a few days ago, I didn't have a rolling pin.  Maybe it's because I (still) don't have a pastry brush.  Maybe it's because I'd rather have cake.  Who's to say really?

Anyway, when I did make pie, I never made crust.  It seemed like a pain.  I'm not going to lie: it is kind of a pain, and the frozen pillsbury kind that you roll out tastes good anyway.  I don't blame you if you just use that.  BUT!  If you want to feel fancy, make this super simple pie crust!

PIE CRUST (makes 2 crusts)
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit
3 c. flour
2 T. sugar
1 3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. + 2 T. chilled, unsalted butter
8 T +/- ice water
1 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar

1.  Get your stuff together so you know you have it all (Obviously, I say this because I did not have all of my ingredients)
2.  Blend flour, sugar, and salt in food processor.
3.  Cube butter.  Add to flour mixture, pulsing until coarse meal forms.
4.  Add water and vinegar; blend until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if needed.
5.  Gather dough together.  Turn out onto floured surface.  Roll into 2 balls, then pat into discs.
6.  Wrap up each disc individually in plastic wrap and refridgerate for at least 1 hour.  Soften slightly before rolling out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips