Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Molasses Cookies

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!  Well, not really, but we'll eat cookies that are a lot like Christmas cookies to make up for the fact that it's 60 degrees and raining.

My family goes a little overboard with the cookie thing every year.  By a little, I mean the entire kitchen is full of cookies.  Sugar cookies, press cookies, magic cookie bars, lemon bars, angel wings, peppermint something-or-others, pecan fingers, thumbprints, peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip rice krispie cookies, fudge, cheese wafers (my personal favorite), snickerdoodles, and many many others!  I'm not exagerating - we (by we, I mean my sister and mom) really make all of them, then we give them away by the pounds!!
Another good recipe that we make is for Molasses Cookies.  An all-time classic that is perfectly balanced between sweet and spicy.  Just a little bit chewy on the inside but nice and crunchy on the outside.  Just plain perfect.

MOLASSES COOKIES
From Great Grandma James
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. crisco
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
+ sugar for rolling cookies in

1.  Mix together sugar, shortening, molasses and egg in mixer.

2.  Add dry ingredients.

3.  Roll into balls.  Roll balls in sugar.
4.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.

5 comments:

  1. Weird - I just pulled this recipe out this weekend. They sounded delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you are lucky that you will be home to help this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are always pulling out the same recipes! Wonder why that always happens!

    I will definitely be there to help - I will document the whole process for anybody out there that reads this and doesn't believe how many cookies are actually made!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so making these, I miss when grandma made molasses cookies so much. They are just the best. I've been making other cookies all day, gonna have to track down some molasses I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always liked when she made the "pumpkin" cookies the best! And her crunchy oatmeal cookies were amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips